Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Field Testing the CDC Redhead

To field test the CDC readheaded emerger fly I traveled westward from Prague, to the mountainous region by the German borders. My friend Ruda introduced me to a remote and little known stream, where little stocking had been done and so the brown trout still retain their distinct coloring.


The fish seemed to like the fly and when it was presented properly they attacked it with vigor. It is likely that they would show the same attitude to to other fly patterns - such as the tried and tested Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear of F. M. Halford's fame, but it was enjoyable none the less.


In the little pool by a old tree stump, on the bottom right corner of this photo, I hooked a nice brownie. I did not measure it, but by the look of it it exceeded the 40 centimeter size that is over here considered a "decent fish", the like of which one can expect to catch only once or twice a year.


I decided not to press my luck any further and after releasing this beautiful fish I called it a day and returned home. By the look of my redheaded fly it was about the time, for it was beginning to show signs of stress.

The wing was still keeping it afloat and the head retained its reddish orange look, but the ribbing was gone and the abdomen was badly chewed up. I decided that the pattern has passed the test, but the one example I had been fishing today had to be retired to the dustbin of history.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful looking stream! I fished the rivers around Virchlabi last year and am going again in September, but clearly there are many other great areas in your country. Fun blog too
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patrick!
      The area around Vrchlabi is beautiful, and the little dam upstream holds some quality fish.
      Enjoy your September trip and tight lines!
      J.

      Delete