Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Grayling vs. Seatrout

A Danish friend is considering abandoning the folly of fishing for ugly anadromous monsters and seeing the true path of the Grayling. To ease the transition I prepared for him a small box of my favorite grayling dry flies.


It is interesting to compare the contents of the little fly box to a regular sized Seatrout fly (here a typical Danish Magnus). The flies are all tied on #18 Dohiku dry fly hooks, patterns are:
  • CDC Goldie
  • Hare & CDC emerger
  • Olive CDC quill
  • Muskrat & CDC emerger

3 comments:

  1. Nice flies! I like to fish for grayling too. "The Lady of The Stream". Wonderful looking fish.
    Have fun fishing for grayling,
    M.O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CDC Olive quill is a cracking fly one of my favourites...

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy,
      the olive quill is my #1 choice of the lot. When the little critters are on wing it is a hard to beat pattern.
      Still, it pays to have some variations in my fly box in case the fish decide to play it difficult :)
      Cheers!
      J.

      Delete